Saturday 21 May 2016

Keepsake Box

A colleague has just had her first child - a beautiful baby girl!  I had been planning to make this as a gift for her for a while; my colleague really loves to travel and always tries to learn some of the appropriate language before she goes, so the papers that I chose to decorate the box reflect this.  Congratulations!


  
As I wanted a really neat finish, I decided to cover the MDF panels before assembling the box.  It was a good job that I had bought two packs of decoupage papers (one with Vintage Maps and one with Typewriter Alphas), as each set was just enough to cover one side of each of the panels.  
I gave each panel a coat of matte Mod-Podge to seal the MDF before adding the decoupage paper and finally sealing each decorated panel with another coat of Mod-Podge.  The precision file set by Basic Grey was exactly what I needed to get into all the slots and file all the edges neatly - I don't think that I would have managed nearly as well without it!

I felt that the maps looked better on the outside of the box, so glued all the sections together with the letters on the inside using Cosmic Shimmer glue.  The advantage being that it dries quickly, gives a strong finish and dries clear so that - unlike in some of the photos - you can't see it once everything is dry.

The hinge panels and keyhole section were painted with a mixture of Pebeo Iridescent Precious Gold and Cosmic Shimmer Rich Oak shimmer paint mixed together and glued on with Cosmic Shimmer Acrylic Glue once dry.

I was really pleased with the way that the finished box came out and I hope that it will be really useful for keeping all those cards, keepsakes and photos in one place.










 

No comments: